grad school, parenthood, identity crisis. welcome to the rabbit hole.

Friday, September 6, 2013

internet's out

My internet's out at home, which means I am super productive now, going to bed earlier, and reading a ton.

"A ton" is complete hyperbole, because grad school is kicking my ass so I'm reading one short story every three days or so.

I read one in its entirety last night, and it made me cry.

I found it online for you, if you wish to read it. It's called Dirty Wedding by Denis Johnson.

If you're going to read it stop reading here, I don't want to give you the ending, you should read it the way it was meant to be read.



















These are the words that, as I read them, crept slowly around me, taking up more and more space, finally pressing against me, so that with the final sentence I just sat there, held so completely by these words. I'M A BABY OK I CAN'T HELP IT.

"I know they argue about whether or not it's right, whether or not the baby is alive at this point or that point in its growth inside the womb. This wasn't about that. It wasn't what the lawyers did. It wasn't what the doctors did, it wasn't what the woman did. It was what the mother and the father did together." -Denis Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment