grad school, parenthood, identity crisis. welcome to the rabbit hole.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Not-guilty-at-all

I've got a new thing. I'm going to stop apologizing for my guilty pleasures. In fact, I'm going to start owing up to all my not-guilty pleasures. Starting with this first wonderful one.

Bunheads.

Bunheads on ABC Family. It's first season is almost over (season finale Monday at 9!), but it is awesome.

Why is it awesome, you might ask?

Because it's created by none other than Amy Sherman-Palladino, creator of those crazy fast-talking Gilmore Girls.

So Bunheads is basically Gilmore Girls reprised. Amy Sherman-Palladino apparently excels in writing the I-don't-want-to-grow-up woman in her mid thirties, positively ebullient with aging pop culture references, but who am I to complain?

The best thing about Bunheads is that AS-P is keepin' it in the family. So many actors that populated Stars Hollow have come back in Paradise, CA (p.s., it's also a quirky small town).

First up, Emily Gilmore. Starring in basically the same role except she's more edgy because she's in an interracial friends-with-benefits relationship. Oops spoilers.

To be fair, Emily Gilmore in real life really was a dancer. or something. Credit

Gypsy makes a few appearances.
Bonus feature, town meeting! credit.
Gosh I'm completely embarrassing myself with the amount of Gilmore Girls knowledge I have. Because I'm pretty sure that the guy in the previous picture was also on GG, as the pizza guy that makes Lorelai's birthday pizza that's supposed to break the Guinness book of world records for pizza and I swear that just came to me out of nowhere and if I could free up those brain cells I would in a heart beat.

And next up, Jason, playing the same fake-self-deprecating quasi-romantic love interest.

He even has the same voice. credit
And finally, best of all, the one and only...Kirk.

Also appearing with: the coffee obsession. credit.
Not pictured, Zack, as a one-eyed plumber (not kidding!)

Ok, I've got to go give my kid a bath and read The Odyssey and pretend like I am a grown up.

All in all Bunheads is a satisfying show if you enjoy quirk, kitsch, and pop-culture references. And ballet. If you like Gilmore Girls, and have nothing else to do on a Monday night and/or own a DVR, there is no reason why I would not recommend this show to you.  

Although if Jess and Luke show up on the season finale of Bunheads there will be squealing.

And since apparently I am feeling very confessional open (confessional implies guilt, and I will not be ashamed!) about all of these things, I will say that I just recently started watching Supernatural pretending that it is a spin-off show about Dean after he and Rory break up. Poor Dean/Sam, they got some tough breaks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment