grad school, parenthood, identity crisis. welcome to the rabbit hole.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Little things

Here are some little things that have been floating around my brain for a while.

+I've been making Lena eat at least one vegetable per dinner, and the faces and the attitude that this kid makes is just astounding. She's going to be the most awesome teenager in the world based solely on the dramatic sighs I get from her when forced to eat half a slice of cucumber. Half a slice. And cucumbers don't even taste like anything!

+We're lucky to grow up with a diverse amount of families around us. It's making me more confident that there will be less scrutiny in her future for not having a d-a-d around. Also, L had play date the other day, and they were playing 'house', and L said to her friend, 'you can be the daddy', and the friend didn't want to, so Lena said, 'ok, we can both be mommy's.' I know it's not ground-breaking stuff here, but I just love that their family could have two mommies, and that was perfectly ok.

+I need to work on my elevator pitch of what I want to do in grad school. I'm really used to telling non-scientist people, so I end up just saying 'molecular biology!' really enthusiastically and that gets the point across. Have just realized that this does not fly with, oh, actual scientists.

+I'm about to start reading The Fault in Our Stars, which I've heard really great things about. I even requested it from the main campus library, and it's coming to the health sciences library, which is closer to my work. I'm inordinately excited about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment