grad school, parenthood, identity crisis. welcome to the rabbit hole.

Monday, September 28, 2015

Lena

Mikey only calls me now for one reason.

Friday afternoon, on my way to pick up Lena, I see his name on my phone, and I ask myself, do I want to have dinner with Mikey at Cinco de Mayo? The answer is yes, and I answer the phone.

When we get to the restaurant Mikey is half a margarita ahead of us, which really if you think about it is kind of how he lives his life, half a margarita ahead of everyone.

Over dinner, Lena asks Mikey, "Have you heard about the three holes?" And Mikey says, "Yes." Lena blinks at him, and Mikey laughs apologetically, "I mean, no." And Lena's eyes light up and she gets to finish her joke, "Well, well, well."

There's a pause, and then the ridiculous head shaking laugh that you give at puns. The laugh you give when you don't want to admit amusement.

Mikey leans over the table earnestly and says, "You know what I wanted your mom to name you? I wanted your mom to name you 'Amirah.' What do you think about that?"

Lena doesn't say anything so she probably doesn't think anything of it.

Mikey continues, "And then when you came out, your mom named you Lena. And that is a great name, you know why? Because you are such a Lena!"


She is such a Lena though. Right? Like look at that kid. She just looks like a Lena!


**


A friend that I absolutely love and respect is having a baby and she's fortysomething and she's kind of worried and in my twentysomething way I tell her that it's all going to be okay. And then she tells me she wants to have a natural childbirth and I say,

"I had a natural childbirth! It was great!"

She looks at me. "Great?"

"Well, ok, maybe great isn't the right word. It was horrible, but it was really great!"


**


Like two weeks ago I wrote about being articulate and boy that has just fallen by the wayside.

Look at this Lena. Look at this life. How great!



No comments:

Post a Comment