grad school, parenthood, identity crisis. welcome to the rabbit hole.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

why we do grad school


There are so many disgruntled graduate students/post docs and there's a lack of faculty positions and I think the current graduate school/post doc (in the sciences) model is a bit outdated--we still do things the way we did when the NIH payline was at 30%, and it's now at less than 8% but it takes so long to change the way things are done so we can only hope that the good ones get out unscathed--and they do, the ones that are going to be successful are always going to be successful no matter what--but that's not the greatest reason not to admit that the system is failing a lot of people. 

But I don't know. I read this quote today and to me it was about my grad school experience. Like, right now I get to immerse myself in every single thing possible. Yesterday I spent most of the day reading ridiculous papers on microfluidics and magnetism. Because why the hell not? I wish this is how we talked about graduate school. 

Graduate school is your "selfish" years. It's the time to immerse yourself in every single thing possible. Be selfish with your time, and all the aspects of you. You are the most important thing. Your ideas, your time. Tinker with shit, travel, explore ideas. Love them a lot, love them a little, and never touch the ground. 


No comments:

Post a Comment