grad school, parenthood, identity crisis. welcome to the rabbit hole.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

radio silence

I listen to the news in the morning, while I'm making breakfast and lunches and getting ready for the day. My house is small, the sound from my kitchen radio reaches the entire house. This morning was sad. Israel and Gaza and I can't turn it off, because this my connection to the world. The tagline of my local NPR station especially caught my ear today: Bringing the world home to you.

I listen in the morning, in the car on the way to work, and I listen when I get home. It's on when I'm cooking dinner, it's on but lower when Lena and I eat together, and it's on when I do the dishes. (Why oh why are there always dishes to do?) I always learn something, I'm always connected.

But tonight, I can't hear any more of this. Bodies on beaches. Aircrafts shot down. I'm leaving the dishes in the sink. I will treat L and myself to dinner. We'll walk, because it is gorgeous outside.





It's confusing to think about having the luxury to turn off the radio. Because things are so far away, that that's all it takes. This feels like it's getting closer though, and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Turn off the news, and go outside? But how lucky I am to be able to do that. Ugh. I'm just so confused. So much beauty, so much ugliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment