grad school, parenthood, identity crisis. welcome to the rabbit hole.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

things i learned at kindergarten transition night

I attended "kindergarten transition night" tonight at L's future elementary school. It's sort of a pre-orientation thing, where they tell you what you need to start doing with your kid so they don't freak out the first day of kindergarten. (Why yes, they did ask me to write their press releases, how nice of you to ask!)

I learned many things. 

Did you know that if your kid misses 10 days of kindergarten, by the 3rd grade they're an entire month behind??

There's a kid at her school named Link. (He'll be in the first grade.) Which is some kind of awesome. If I had named L Zelda, they would have been a match made in kids-who-grew-up-in-the-80s-and-90s-heaven. Also, nerds. 

Did I say I learned many things? I may have exaggerated. 

There was this woman who pronounced "feelings" like "fillings" and it took me a minute to figure out why once every few weeks the kindergartners got a visit from the guidance counselor to talk about their "fillings". So that occupied a few minutes of brain work for me. 

And I mentioned there was a kid named Link.

This blog post degenerated really quickly. Sorry friends, it looks like someone is not handling the transition well to kindergarten. 


No comments:

Post a Comment