grad school, parenthood, identity crisis. welcome to the rabbit hole.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

on learning to read

I had to drive to and from Raleigh twice this week for grad interviews, and as much as I hate traffic and highway driving, I actually really like commuting. That is, being alone for a period of time before starting my day. I can do things like sing really loudly to the Les Mis soundtrack and talk to myself.

This morning I was thinking about L learning to read. More specifically, I was thinking of a song that my friend Wes made up while teaching kids to read.

He made up this song, for vowel sounds. (Sung to the tune of "Lollipop" by Lil' Wayne.)

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah says the short A
Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah says the short A
Ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay says the long A
Ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay says the long A

I can learn my vowels
I sing them out loud
A-E-I-O-U
You know what to do
You can sing them too.

Okay so this is genius, and you repeat the song for all the vowels, and it's great for getting reluctant readers to remember the vowel sounds, but the song is fairly salacious, and what if I teach Lena this vowel song and then she realizes one day that it's about...well, you can figure it out for yourself. (The original lyrics for those not in the know are lick-lick-lick-lick-lick it like a lollipop.)


**


Lena really has started to grasp the whole letters and sounds thing. Which is great! I am pro-literacy. Except now all our conversations go something like this.

"Lena can you please put forks on the table?"
"Fuh-fuh-fuh-forks."

"Lena, do you want Nana to read to you next?"
"Na-na-na-na-nana."

"Lena, can I wash your hair?"
"Huh-huh-huh-hair."

I luh-luh-love this kid, but I'm not sure I can survive her learning to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment