grad school, parenthood, identity crisis. welcome to the rabbit hole.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

bless this blog

My whole lab eats lunch together, which is absolutely wonderful. Lately conversations have been around twitter, blogs, public vs private, etc. We talked about the narcissism of our generation. Lawrence thought it was lack of a confessional outlet that did it. And others were quick to point out that only Catholics confess, so there goes that hypothesis.

But I was starting thinking about why I blog. And part of me wonders whether it's because I don't have a partner in this whole life thing, and I need to share the love and wonder with someone. Which sounds nice and convenient, but I had a livejournal back in high school, and I don't know, I've just always loved this outlet. I think I like it for the same reason I like(d?) reading poetry, you put a little piece of your life out there for someone else to see. It's selfish, having someone listen with no promise of reciprocation, but not entirely. Because what poets, writers, musicians, artists, bloggers, what anyone who creates art gives us, is a part of themselves, a vulnerable, tangible part of the world that the listener, the reader, the observer get to experience.

Anyway, so tonight I went to see Plume Giant and Rich Poor Boy with Aspen (lab aspen, not aspen aspen WHOA THIS IS GOING TO GET COMPLICATED) and Firas, and it was fun. Rich Poor Boy is a Pakistani band that sounded like they could have been from California. They were like, magical realism California surf rock.


Lawrence encouraged us to keep a diary, or a journal, or keep some record of this all. So this is it. This is my fun thing. Hey blog, it's nice to see you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment