grad school, parenthood, identity crisis. welcome to the rabbit hole.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Music nostalgia

Every Sunday Stephanie and I have a running date, which is really awesome for lots of reasons, but one is that as I'm driving home on Sunday morning after my run, I always listen to 96.1, (no longer called 96 rock, for the Chapel Hill homegrown) which just plays like, quintessential rock music. A fair amount of Pink Floyd, Journey, you know, like "rock" music. But also. they play a ton of Nickleback. Do people still listen to Nickleback?? I thought Nickleback was like, a giant joke of a band. Of course this is also how I feel about the Republican party. And people that don't believe in feminism. It's like, you're kidding me, right?

Anyway, so Steph and I were listening to 96-rock-but-it's-not-called-that and talking about like, what this type of music reminded us of, and for me it was totally end of middle school, early high school, and for me it was before I really figured out what kind of music I liked, and I was totally into Everclear and Third Eye Blind. The Red Hot Chili Peppers!!

Music nostalgia. It's like, the closest thing to time travel I've found. Unlike going through my old journals in high school which makes me cringe and feel very retroactively embarrassed for my high school self (retroactive embarrassment = a really productive emotion), music just takes me back to like...sleepovers, and dance parties in basements, and walking on Franklin street and going to Schoolkids, and you know, figuring out who we were and how to feel and angst and Kurt Cobain, and crushes, and insecurity, and all the best parts of being a teenager.

Okay so I know this post was about like, the fact that I really miss listening to the Goo Goo Dolls, but I had to share this song which just brings me back to being pregnant with L. This song came out and I listened to it non-stop. I can't explain it. I mean it was popular for a reason. But damn, I can't tell you how many times I just put this on repeat and just...listened. 

It was like T.I. was singing to me!



I mean, is there anything more that you need in the world?

Baby you can have whatever you like...

No comments:

Post a Comment